EDUCATION AND OUTREACH
Sybarite5 provides dynamic outreach and residency activities for students of all ages
Education and Residency Activities
EVOLUTION OF AN ENTREPRENEUR
The members of Sybarite5 lead a discussion about what it means to be an artistic entrepreneur in the 21stcentury. Members of Sybarite5 address the ever-evolving landscape of concert music from the perspectives of five unique artists coming together to form one cohesive ensemble. This program can be custom tailored to the specific needs of the presenting organization.
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN COMPOSE?
With So You Think You Can Compose, Sybarite5 brings the energy of So You Think You Can Dance to colleges and universities by partnering with composition departments to create and showcase new student works. The works are performed by Sybarite5 in a live casual concert complete with a panel of judges, and a winner is chosen via live text-to-vote system. So You Think You Can Compose transforms classical music composition into something both relevant and exciting for audiences, composers and performers.
MUSIC WE PLAY: Discussion Session for Composers
How to write for each instrument and string ensembles. Other topics may include extended techniques, orchestration, commissioning, and deadlines.
INSIDE THE ENSEMBLE: Discussion Session for Performers
Members of Sybarite5 will discuss various topics, including the aspects of a chamber music ensemble, the history of the group, how the ensemble finds and rehearses repertoire, etc. Regardless of topic, we encourage the participation of a moderator or faculty member to guide discussion. With small groups this can sometimes be accomplished over a casual lunch or coffee.
(High School – Adults of any age)
Members of Sybarite5 will lead the audience through a public rehearsal of the ensemble’s current repertoire. Questions from the audience are encouraged and will be addressed during the rehearsal.
Faculty members can join Sybarite5 in the concert performance of a work from the ensemble’s repertoire.
HOW IT WORKS!
- short, high-energy performances of selections from our repertoire (sampling from many genres: classical, rock, blues, tango, world, etc.)
- introduction to our instruments themselves, explanation of unique role of bass in our ensemble and behind-the-scenes look at how we create the extended techniques used in many of our pieces
- guided question-and-answer session
- high-energy performances of selections from our repertoire (sampling from many genres: classical, rock, blues, tango, world, etc.)
- personalized introductions to each member of the ensemble
- discussion of what chamber music is
- explanation of career in music and what it entails (particularly if the students are studying instruments seriously)
- open question-and-answer session
LED ZEPPELIN SIDE BY SIDE:
- Students rehearse and perform a Led Zeppelin song with Sybarite5 on a public concert
FOR ANY AGE
Sybarite5 helps transform students into a live music composition machine. Led by Sybarite5, students create their very own music compositions. At the end of the interactive session, Sybarite5 performs the new works. The program is custom tailored to the student age group. Instruments and prior musical instruction are not required!
- individual and team-coaching of student ensembles (either standard repertoire, or they have the option of working on a piece of our repertoire in advance to be coached on)
- solo instrument string masterclasses
- coaching of sectionals within student orchestra
- specified seminars on extended string technique (classical, fiddling, rock, jazz, tango)
- Sybarite5 can breakout into 5 separate sessions if need be